NumPy (Numerical Python) is a mathematical library written in Python + C (IIRC + some Fortran code), well-known for Python language programmers. This package contains:
- a powerful N-dimensional array object
- sophisticated (broadcasting) functions
- tools for integrating C/C++ and Fortran code
- useful linear algebra, Fourier transform, and random number capabilities
- wrappers around most Fortran-written BLAS/LAPACK functions
Additional speedup can be obtained via linking NumPy with Intel MKL / AMD ACML (currently it requires some efforts in modification makefiles, I guess in future the operation will be simplified).
Also you may be interested in SciPy that is another one mathematical library written in Python language (same developers) - it contains numerical integration, optimization, signal, stat etc submodules.
NumPy homepage: http://numpy.org or http://numpy.scipy.org/
Wikipedia entry for numpy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numpy
- NumPy_for_Matlab_Users guide
- GSoC 2009 project - accelerate NumPy's ufuncs via SSE and multi-core execution by CorePy (Assembly library for Python)
- mlabwrap - a high-level Python to MATLAB bridge
- libermate - MATLAB to Python code converter
- ompc - another MATLAB to Python code converter
- pym - another one MATLAB to Python code converter